Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Tea

In my tea cabinet, tucked away with the other teas, are several tea tins of loose tea that my mom had given me.  Recently a friend took one out and pointed to the expiration date - 2010!  Possibly not the sort of thing I should have sitting around in my cabinets.

Yet I can't toss the tea.  I think there's something comforting about opening the cabinet and seeing it there.  I think it's given me the feeling that she's going to come by and make herself a cup of tea (in the most complicated way involving two teapots that always drove me crazy, of course).

It's been six and a half years since my mom passed away.  It's long enough that life feels normal and the sadness isn't at the surface.  But for a little while longer, I'm going to let myself indulge in the feeling that I'm just waiting for her to arrive at the door and make herself a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment